Discovering black mold in your home is never a pleasant experience. Knowing what to do about it can help relieve some of the apprehension. If you have discovered black mold in your home, your first instinct may be to grab some cleaners and start removing the mold, but should you? Should you use DIY methods to remove black mold in your home? Is it safe? When is it safe to clean up the mold yourself and when should you have it professionally removed?
Whether or not you should hire a professional to clean up the mold depends on many factors such as the size of the affected area, your individual health, and the cause of the mold. In this article, we will explore these factors and help you determine when it is safe to use DIY methods for the mold cleanup and when you should give us a call.
Are you healthy?
Your health is of the utmost importance and is a key factor to consider. Black mold can cause allergy-like symptoms in healthy individuals and even more severe symptoms if you have a lung condition like asthma or any other immune compromising condition. Black mold removal can cause mold spores to become airborne and may worsen symptoms or cause new ones to develop. If you have a health condition that would make you more susceptible to mold toxicity, it is best to give us a call and let us safely remove the mold from your home or office.
How large is the area?
The size of the area is another factor to consider. If the size of the area is larger than ten square feet or roughly a 3×3 section then it should be removed by a professional. Since traditional mold removal can cause spores to be released into the air, at Pure Maintenance MC, we recommend calling us even for small areas less than ten square feet. It’s a good idea to always have a professional air quality check performed any time you see or suspect mold in your home, no matter how small the area.
Is there water damage?
If there is a significant amount of water damage in the affected area, the EPA recommends hiring a professional.
What is the source?
Where did the source of the mold causing moisture come from? If water is from sewage or other contaminated sources then it is important to leave the clean-up to the professionals.
Is the mold visible?
Sometimes your nose is the first thing that tells you have a mold problem. If you can smell mold, but you can’t see it, do not try to determine the cause yourself. If you can smell it, the area is likely fairly large and it is best to let a professional find the source and remedy the issue. It is also important to determine the source and monitor the area after the removal process.
Proudly Serving the Phoenix Area
At Pure Maintenance MC, we always recommend erring on the side of caution and hiring a professional when it comes to mold. We are proud to serve the Phoenix area. We offer a safe demolition free process for removing mold. If you have discovered mold in your home or office and need professional remediation, let our experienced staff restore the area to a healthy place. Give us a call today!
Image used under Adobe free stock standard license – commercial use (2/14/2021) Hero Images (Adobe)